Modified Kohler single

Kallvintern, jävulsturen eller annat skoterrelaterat snack
Användarvisningsbild
iceman

Modified Kohler single

Inlägg av iceman » 05 nov 2009, 18:18

Built a motor for an upcoming project. I decided to use a Kohler because no one over here really races these motors. They build Kawi's, Sachs, Hirth, etc. I wanted something different & I think these motors have a lot of potential. The sled is going to be a testbed for a lot of ideas I've had bouncing around in my head for a while. Should be fun.

I started with a Kohler K 309-1T fan cooler like the one in my Panther.

Bild

Removed all the shrouding, fan, etc. Cut the case down to get rid of all the extra aluminum. Turned down & balanced the flywheel and made it rope start only, no recoil. Ported & cut the cylinder and NOS piston, rebuilt the crank and turned the head. I wanted to run dual carbs on it. I will start with this manifold set-up but I may change it to an over/under manifold when it comes time to actually run it.

Bild

Bild

Bild

Bild

Användarvisningsbild
Laser
Sponsor medlem
Sponsor medlem

Re: Modified Kohler single

Inlägg av Laser » 05 nov 2009, 20:55

Neat!! :thumbright: This I want to see more of 8)
Tillhör brödraskapet Laser 440+
Snart utan fast telefon
Underdogs Racing Fan Club

Snart kom Telia å rullar upp telefonledningen och kvar blir väl bara dike som den låg i

Användarvisningsbild
Holländaren
RETRO POLICE CREW
RETRO POLICE CREW
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Holländaren » 05 nov 2009, 22:54

Cool :!:

Neat little engine :)
Ski-Doo, om katten själv får välja
R8 -64
R10 -65
Oly 494 -66
Oly 277 -69
Oly 370 -69
Alpine 370 -69
Double Eagle clone -69
Ski-Boose MKII -70
Blizzard 797 -71
Blizzard Elan 776 clone -71
T'nT 292 -71
T'nT 640 -71
T'nT 775 -71
Mach Z 780 -95½

Användarvisningsbild
marino carlsson
Sponsor medlem
Sponsor medlem
Kontakt:

Inlägg av marino carlsson » 05 nov 2009, 23:21

Verry verry nice..
http://www.retroevent.se

Yamaha SRX440 -79 (Projekt)
Skidoo Tundra Xtreme -12
Samt nå lik i garderoben

PiteRobban
Sponsor medlem
Sponsor medlem
Kontakt:

Inlägg av PiteRobban » 06 nov 2009, 03:50

what a great idea! =). I have the same engine in one of my AMF-s, and one on the side. The only difference is that my engines is called MAG 310.

I visited ElTigre earlier today and as always in his garage, i got somewhat inspired :thumbright: .

the AMF modified (MAG 340 Twin) is nothing to compete with, as it is just as slow as the original MAG single.

The track is almost off on the original, so why not keep modifying the already modified? :P

Do you mind if i follow along on your idea on a F/A MAG/Kohler single, but on a modified AMF Delta? :D

Sincerely //Robert
Skotrar:
2x AMF Delta 7520 "Långselare"
Yamaha Exciter Hybrid -89
Arctic Cat Panther 5000 -78

http://www.cravepower.org

Användarvisningsbild
iceman

Inlägg av iceman » 06 nov 2009, 18:16

PiteRobban skrev:what a great idea! =). I have the same engine in one of my AMF-s, and one on the side. The only difference is that my engines is called MAG 310.

I visited ElTigre earlier today and as always in his garage, i got somewhat inspired :thumbright: .

the AMF modified (MAG 340 Twin) is nothing to compete with, as it is just as slow as the original MAG single.

The track is almost off on the original, so why not keep modifying the already modified? :P

Do you mind if i follow along on your idea on a F/A MAG/Kohler single, but on a modified AMF Delta? :D

Sincerely //Robert
I think that sounds like an awesome idea. Do you have any pictures of the AMF? Not familliar with what they look like. I got the idea to do this single because of the success we had modifying a 399 Kohler twin. Stock, these motors run good but are not fast. We cut one down, free-aired it, and added dual carbs. It was built as a low-buck project, the whole sled cost about $100.00 U.S. Wasn't sure how it would work so we didn't want to invest a lot of money in it. It's been undefeated the 3 years we have raced it so I would consider it a success.

Bild

Bild

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOftIBmTNhQ

This single will be going in a modified Arctic Cat Lynx chassis. It will be a combination of some old school race tricks & some more modern tech hopefully. Just building it for fun. I will take some pics of the donor chassis when I get a chance.

PiteRobban
Sponsor medlem
Sponsor medlem
Kontakt:

Inlägg av PiteRobban » 06 nov 2009, 20:51

iceman skrev:I think that sounds like an awesome idea. Do you have any pictures of the AMF? Not familliar with what they look like. I got the idea to do this single because of the success we had modifying a 399 Kohler twin. Stock, these motors run good but are not fast. We cut one down, free-aired it, and added dual carbs. It was built as a low-buck project, the whole sled cost about $100.00 U.S. Wasn't sure how it would work so we didn't want to invest a lot of money in it. It's been undefeated the 3 years we have raced it so I would consider it a success.

[Pictures]

This single will be going in a modified Arctic Cat Lynx chassis. It will be a combination of some old school race tricks & some more modern tech hopefully. Just building it for fun. I will take some pics of the donor chassis when I get a chance.
Cool sleds you got there :thumbright:

Yoy can read about the low budget AMF here: http://retroskoter.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 072#p25072

A short brief, since you are not swedish; I bought the chassie from a guy called DME here on this forum. The same night i bought 4 of these MAG340 Twins.
This project did not cost a single dollar except this to get it running. I used junk that i had laying around and just got it going. Have a close look at the recoil and you see what i mean :thumbright: .

All in all (except for the engines and chassie, it has cost me approximately $10. This was for the rubber thingies that keeps the hood in its place) Actual cost for those mounted was about $4, but i bought some spares too :P

I can add that i have a history in stock car racing (folkrace), so i like it cheap :thumbright:

Edit: By the way, you can take a look at http://www.robertlindblom.com/Blandadebilder.htm
In the bottom of that page, there is some pics of a car that me and a friend is modifying now. two of these race cars must be ready when summer comes, and i have not even started with mine. The goal is to keep the costs below 6500SEK (like $900 or so), because after each race, every attendant must sell their cars for that price if someone want to buy it... You can also buy it yourself as the driver. It is kind of a lottery.

Anyways... This was the "theme" when building the AMF =)

//Robert
Skotrar:
2x AMF Delta 7520 "Långselare"
Yamaha Exciter Hybrid -89
Arctic Cat Panther 5000 -78

http://www.cravepower.org

Användarvisningsbild
iceman

Inlägg av iceman » 06 nov 2009, 22:35

Looks like a fun sled. :thumbright: I had an AMF Ski-Daddler for a while. The hood looked like one shown in some of your pics, mine was slver, had a 372 JLO engine in it.

I like the low-buck approach. I have a saying painted on one of our race sleds, "it's not what you buy, it's what you build." It's not all about money.

Thanks for giving me the short version. I can translate some Swedish but I'm not very good at it & sometimes it comes out quite funny!

Användarvisningsbild
Galant turbo
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Galant turbo » 07 nov 2009, 14:33

Very nice pictures and interesting projects! But why use 2 carbs on a 1-cyl engine instead of one big? I fail to see the advantages of that, but I am not so familiar to 2-stroke carburated engines compared to 4-stroke with injection systems. Is it purely because of just having them "laying around" or is there an performance advantage? Air flow and vacuum could as I figure be achieved in the same way with a single carb, -but I might be way out there considering this. Please explain this! :)
BMW M5 -01
BMW 750iAL V12 Dubbelturbo -88
Subaru Legacy -92
Starion Turbo Intercooler -86
Volvo B58/50 (12m Husbuss) -67
Lenko Larven -82
Labbråtta
http://www.sttemtec.com

Användarvisningsbild
RUSCH
Sponsor medlem
Sponsor medlem
Kontakt:

Inlägg av RUSCH » 07 nov 2009, 15:55

I think its for the eys only :idea:
My eyes works with dual carbs :twisted:
Lovly set up
SRX 440 -79
RUSCH "AMF" dubbelbandare MAG 340 -74
RUSCH R11 Wankel -71
RUSCH R11 Sachs SA280 -70
RUSCH R11 Sachs SA280 -69
RUSCH R1 ILO L297 19hk -68
kohler 440 f/c motor 2st
( LYNX G-type Rave 670 -00)
http://www.stm.nu" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Användarvisningsbild
iceman

Inlägg av iceman » 07 nov 2009, 16:51

Galant turbo skrev:Very nice pictures and interesting projects! But why use 2 carbs on a 1-cyl engine instead of one big? I fail to see the advantages of that, but I am not so familiar to 2-stroke carburated engines compared to 4-stroke with injection systems. Is it purely because of just having them "laying around" or is there an performance advantage? Air flow and vacuum could as I figure be achieved in the same way with a single carb, -but I might be way out there considering this. Please explain this! :)
Just wanted to do it for fun. I may run a different manifold or I may run a single HD. I like to try things a little different once in a while. We are going to experiment with some "special" fuel and we might need a lot of delivery. ;) This will be a runner & I plan on beating the crap out of it. I'll find some pics of the sled that inspired it.

Användarvisningsbild
iceman

Inlägg av iceman » 07 nov 2009, 17:30

Photos courtesy of Boss Cat Legacy

Alky burners

Bild

Bild

Bild

Användarvisningsbild
Galant turbo
Kontakt:

Inlägg av Galant turbo » 08 nov 2009, 00:12

iceman skrev:Just wanted to do it for fun. I may run a different manifold or I may run a single HD. I like to try things a little different once in a while. We are going to experiment with some "special" fuel and we might need a lot of delivery. ;) This will be a runner & I plan on beating the crap out of it. I'll find some pics of the sled that inspired it.
That is one of the best reasons ever ! :)

Will you be running methanol, or ethanol? Or some secret home brew? Very interesting effects can be achived just by adding xylene or toluene in the gasoline and tune the engine with that. Although I am not so familiar how these cemicals react/mix with 2-stroke oil. If you are planning on some sort of alcohol, -how will you do with the oil? Alcohol and oil does not mix very well. If running alcohol, I guess you have a solution for this and perhaps it is common knowledge among 2-stroke people how to get around this problem. But I am curious how it is done.
BMW M5 -01
BMW 750iAL V12 Dubbelturbo -88
Subaru Legacy -92
Starion Turbo Intercooler -86
Volvo B58/50 (12m Husbuss) -67
Lenko Larven -82
Labbråtta
http://www.sttemtec.com

Användarvisningsbild
iceman

Inlägg av iceman » 11 nov 2009, 15:37

Galant turbo skrev:
iceman skrev:Just wanted to do it for fun. I may run a different manifold or I may run a single HD. I like to try things a little different once in a while. We are going to experiment with some "special" fuel and we might need a lot of delivery. ;) This will be a runner & I plan on beating the crap out of it. I'll find some pics of the sled that inspired it.
That is one of the best reasons ever ! :)

Will you be running methanol, or ethanol? Or some secret home brew? Very interesting effects can be achived just by adding xylene or toluene in the gasoline and tune the engine with that. Although I am not so familiar how these cemicals react/mix with 2-stroke oil. If you are planning on some sort of alcohol, -how will you do with the oil? Alcohol and oil does not mix very well. If running alcohol, I guess you have a solution for this and perhaps it is common knowledge among 2-stroke people how to get around this problem. But I am curious how it is done.
It will be a home brew of sorts. If it works, I'll let you know. If it doesn't well, you be able to tell :lol:

Here is the chassis we are starting with. Doesn't look like much now but I hope to make an interesting machine out of it.

Bild

Skriv svar